The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) School of Pharmacy is proud to celebrate American Pharmacists Month during October. This month-long observance is designed to recognize the significant contributions to health care and the commitment to patient care by pharmacists in all practice settings from across the country. “Know Your Pharmacist, Know Your Medicine” is the theme and underlying message of American Pharmacists Month.
|Joe Sinnott (center), Mayor of the City of Erie, presented the LECOM School of Pharmacy with a proclamation celebrating October as American Pharmacists Month. Accepting the proclamation were student pharmacists Alex Covey, Mohamed Amer, and Jaxson Burkins and Abbey Krysiak, PharmD, Assistant Professor.|
When patients experience health issues, the most important way to manage their recovery is by taking their medications as prescribed by their physician, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
During American Pharmacists Month, the LECOM School of Pharmacy will educate the community about the importance of medication adherence, always taking their medicines, following the directions on the label, and completing the course of treatment in its entirety. Not taking medications as directed can have potentially serious consequences to health and wellness.
LECOM’s student pharmacists will participate in a number of events in October to both recognize American Pharmacists Month and serve and educate the community, in keeping with LECOM’s mission:
- On Oct. 9 at the Rite Aid at 163 West 26 St. from 6-8 p.m., and on Oct. 12 at the Rite Aid at 1709 Liberty St. from 2-4 p.m., students will participate in a rotating health fair.
- On Oct. 10, Oct. 13, and Oct. 17, students will hold a diabetes awareness health fair at the LECOM Medical Fitness and Wellness Center, 5401 Peach St.
- On Oct. 18 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.,students will host a health fair at the Tops Market at 712 West 38 St.
- On Oct. 22 and 23 from 5 to 8 p.m., students will distribute Mr. Yuk© stickers and explain poison prevention methods during the Achievement Center Trail of Treats at the Millcreek Mall.
More about the LECOM School of Pharmacy
The LECOM School of Pharmacy is a nationally recognized leader in the evolution of pharmacy practice. The School emphasizes collaborative practices, community service, dedication to the profession of pharmacy, diversity, excellence in scholarship and teaching, integrity, leadership, life-long learning, professionalism and continuous quality improvement.
LECOM’s campus in Erie offers one of the few accelerated, three-year Doctor of Pharmacy programs in the country. Students interested in a traditional four-year program leading to the PharmD degree may apply to LECOM’s campus in Bradenton, Fla. Recognizing that some students need added flexibility in their studies, LECOM recently introduced an online Doctor of Pharmacy degree option.
- LECOM Observing American Pharmacists Month
- School of Pharmacy Chosen for two statewide awards
- LECOM, Lake Erie College Sign Affiliation Agreement
- First-Year Students Participate in White Coat Ceremonies
- LECOM to lead Safe Kids Erie initiative
- LECOM Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit Hosts Anniversary Celebration
- LECOM Bradenton Celebrates Seventh Commencement
- Construction has begun for the new LECOM Senior Living Center
- Important LECOM Events for 2014-2015
- LECOM Commencement Dates 2014-2020
- LECOM Prospective Student Open Houses
- LECOM Connection Available Online
- LECOM Provides Easier Access to News Items
- Sign Up Now for LECOM Campus Security Alerts
- LECOM 2013 Commencement Photos